If you’re planning on taking a day trip from Granbury, there are so many great things to do in Glen Rose TX, also known as the “Dinosaur Capital of Texas.” From exploring the historic downtown to searching for dinosaur tracks in the wilderness, you’ll find various activities to fill your day. One of the most popular things to do in Glen Rose TX, is head to the rodeo at Somervell County Expo Center—they offer a full yearly calendar of events and exciting shows.
Before you start filling your itinerary with things to do in Glen Rose TX, you’ll want to secure your lodging, and our Granbury Bed and Breakfast is one of the best places to stay. Set on the shores of Lake Granbury, our Inn is a quiet retreat with cozy and intimate guest rooms, beautiful and welcoming shared spaces, and two acres of our outdoor garden grounds to enjoy. You’ll be treated to a hearty and homecooked breakfast each morning with local ingredients (some picked right from our very own garden) and given the most attentive hospitality.
The 7 Best Things to do in Glen Rose TX
Located about 25 minutes from our Granbury Bed and Breakfast, plan on spending a day exploring all the things to do in Glen Rose TX, during your stay.
- Dinosaur Valley State Park: Visitors to this state park can enjoy paddling on or swimming in the Paluxy River, hiking or biking along the 20 miles of trails through the wilderness, discovering the park via horseback, and of course, mapping the dinosaur tracks along the riverbed. This is a must-stop for anyone interested in history, archeology, and geology.
- Fossil Rim Wildlife Center: For over 30 years, the folks running the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center have been dedicated to conservation and creating a safe place for these animals. Just about a half-hour south of our Granbury Bed and Breakfast, you’ll find a safari in Texas, from big cats to giraffes and rare birds to gazelles. Head out on a self-guided tour from your vehicle or the single-group tours with a knowledgeable guide in the safari cabs.
- Big Rocks Park: This nature area along the Paluxy River is one of the best things to do in Glen Rose TX, to beat the heat and check out some interesting geological features. The unique boulders and the swimming hole are the standouts here. Be sure to bring your camera for the Instagram-worthy snapshots!
- Explore the Historic Downtown: Similar to the city center of our charming small town of Granbury, Glen Rose has a historic town square with shopping, dining, and touring opportunities. Head to the landmark Somervell County Courthouse for a little bit of history and then explore the nearby local businesses offering a vast array of wares, eats, and arts.
- Somervell County Expo Center: One of the best things to do in Glen Rose TX, is take in a thrilling rodeo show. We often have guests come to stay at our Granbury Bed and Breakfast for these events, as our space beats a noisy hotel near the expo center. Spend the day watching the exciting show and retreat to solitude for the evening at the Inn.
- The Loco Coyote Grill: Holding the number one spot on TripAdvisor as the best restaurant in Glen Rose TX, the Loco Coyote is a longtime Texas barbeque joint with sawdust floors, live country music, and meaty entrees. You’ll have your pick from decadent appetizers, BBQ plates, steaks, and hearty burgers with all the fixings.
- The Promise in Glen Rose: For those interested in seeing a live musical show, this one-of-a-kind performance about the life of Jesus Christ at the Texas Amphitheater returns annually from September through early November.
For more ideas of things to do in Glen Rose TX, check out this comprehensive list of boutiques, restaurants, and state parks from the Somervell Country Visitor’s Bureau.
Cozy Lodging at our Intimate Granbury Bed and Breakfast
If you’re looking for a memorable stay in Texas with private accommodations, gourmet breakfast service, and personable hosts, you’ll fall in love with our Granbury Bed and Breakfast. We only have three exclusive guest rooms, so you’ll never run into crowds or noisy neighbors at our Inn. Each room has comfortable beds dressed in fine linens, an en suite bath, and personal temperature control. You’ll enjoy our bright blue dock on the lake with a morning cup of coffee or an evening by the firepit with a glass of wine.